So you are planning a trip to North Shore Tahoe or Truckee but feel the need to break up the trip and stretch your legs. Why not stop in the beautiful town of Auburn! Not only are we just 1 hour from Truckee but we are just approximately 58 miles to Boreal and Sugar Bowl Ski Resorts!
Auburn is the perfect town to stop in because…
- It is the LAST cutest town you will find on your way into the mountains. Once you pass through Auburn there is literally no other towns on the way into the Sierras. So, if you need a bathroom break, a Starbuck’s caramel machiato, gas, or something to munch on you better listen to your wife or girlfriend when she says “Honey let’s stop here!”. I know how you guys are…you never like stopping. I know this because my husband is the exact same way, LOL.
- If you are traveling with your dog, there is a fabulous dog park in Auburn called Ashley Memorial Dog Park. It is located on Auburn Ravine Road. Take the Russel Rd. Exit (120) and then you can pick up food or Starbucks on the way to the dog park. There, your four-legged friend can run free in a huge grassy fenced area complete with a waterfall, tennis balls and other friendly pooches. There is even a designated small dog park area for some of our little dogs.
- Stretch your legs and see California’s tallest bridge! Yes, you can walk across the Foresthill Bridge which ands 73o feet above the American River. It is breathtaking to see the beauty of the mountainside and river below. Its not far off from Hwy 80 and easy to get to. Just take the Foresthill Exit and it is only 1.2 miles from Hwy 80.
- Eat a hamburger or delicious pie at iconic Ikeda’s Country Market. There you can shop for gourmet food items, taste test sauces and salsas, buy a nice bottle of wine, pick up beautiful local fruit and vegetables. You can grab some food “to go” very easily or take a break and sit outside while you enjoy fresh made pie or one of their famous burgers. Try their garlic fries, they are awesome!
- Stroll through Old Town Auburn and see the OLDEST GOLD MINING TOWN in California. It is a blast from the past to see these old building including our beautiful courthouse, post office and fire station. The streets are lined with buildings that have stood the test of time. You can’t miss this town as you drive on Hwy 80. Take the Maple St. Exit and it drops you right into Old Town Auburn. You can also get gas very easily at this exit too.
So, there you have it! Auburn clearly is a very cool place to stop in and check out. Who knows, you may fall in love with our great little town and decide to move here. If so, I know a great Realtor who can help you!